Iowa Counties Information Technology Association GIS Data Repository
The Iowa Counties Information Technology Association has created the Iowa GIS Data Repository as a way for counties to store and share their geographic information with other counties, cities or the public. This may be especially useful for emergency management purposes. The data is stored on one server which is located in Marshall County and another server will soon be used in Sioux County. Counties can use the data repository as an alternative storage unit; some counties even use the repository as the only way to store their geographic data.
Below is a step by step user guide to help you and your agency get started. Here you will register to be a GISDR user, become a repository administrator and learn about the kind of data you will find on the GISDR.
- Start at the homepage at https://www.iowagisdata.org/
- To login or to create a new account, select either Browse or Login on the menu bar or the Access the GIS Data Repository link.
- Register as a new user
Become a Repository Administrator
- In order to upload your county data into the repository, you must have a repository administrator.
- A GISDR Site Administrator will approve any first time Repository Administrator requests within a given repository.
- A repository may have more than one administrator.
- All administrators will have the same rights.
- Once an administrator is assigned to a repository, they will receive and approve all future administrator requests.
- As an administrator you will have rights to access any of your county restricted/limited data; uploading county data; granting/denying additional access requests; granting/denying uploading rights.
- To become an administrator
- After registering as a new user, login to the GISDR.
- Once logged in, you will want to Access the GIS Data Repository.
- Choose which agency in which you belong to find the link to become an administrator.
- Next, you will either find the county or city that you belong to, or if you are not represented yet, click the link at the bottom of the to create a new entity.
- Please allow a few days for your agency to be put into the system.
- Once you have a spot in the repository it will show up in the appropriate agency browsing page and you can click on your agency to get your data uploaded.
- Please only upload vector data.
- Raster data takes up too much space.
- PDF’s are okay to upload.
- Only .zip or .pdf files will be accepted by the upload form.
- All non-administrator users must request uploading rights.
- Data Types
- Open: all users are allowed to browse and download
- Limited/other: all users are allowed to browse, but must request additional access to download
- Restricted: all users must request additional access to browse or download
- How to upload data
- As an administrator, you will automatically have uploading privileges.
- When you log in, you will have a few icons in each data folder that will allow for data management. The blue plus allows you to upload data and the red ‘X’ is used to delete data.
- If any user would like to upload data and are not administrators, they must request that right from you, the administrator
Additional Access/Uploading? Requests
- As an administrator you will grant or deny additional access requests to restricted or limited data; if your agency has more than one administrator, all of them will get this request.
- Also as an administrator you will grant or deny users to upload data into your agency repository; again, all administrators will get all requests
If you need assistance with the website or have further questions please contact me by email.
- GettingStarted.png (63.2 KB) - added by saw 4 years ago.
- LoginForm.png (59.5 KB) - added by saw 4 years ago.
- NewUser.png (49.9 KB) - added by saw 4 years ago.
- ChooseAgencyType.png (51.3 KB) - added by saw 4 years ago.
- CountyList.png (90.9 KB) - added by saw 4 years ago.
- NewRepo.png (49.5 KB) - added by saw 4 years ago.
- ManageContents.png (91.3 KB) - added by saw 4 years ago.